LEGO is an art and technique says Klaus Schnaible, a big fan of LEGO from Germany

February 27, 2017 0 Comments A+ a-


At the beginning of February I told you about my visit of Spielwarenmesse toy fair - about a trip that surpassed my expectations. One of the reasons why I have enjoyed it so much was a complete coincidence ! As it usually is. :-)
We were staying in a local Bavarian guesthouse in Pommelsbrunn near Nurnberg and while we were sitting in a pub we have met Klaus Schnaible, a big fan of LEGO. Even thought we didn't know each other at all, we quickly found that we have a lot in common. I don't speak German and Klaus doesn't speak Czech, but we found a common language - LEGO.
He told me about his enthusiasm for LEGO bricks. He is a passionate builder and shares his love for LEGO with his kids and wife. There is LEGO everywhere in his house. I had a chance to look closer at his impressive collection, mostly very old and rare sets, but also his own builds. LEGO is an art and technique for him.
I was lucky enough that Klaus agreed to speak about his hobby to my blog. I hope you will find an interview below as interesting as I did.

Klaus, how old are you ?
I was born in June 1960, so 56 years old. 

Where are you from? 
I was born in Muhlacker/Enz, Germany, as baby to Calmbach/Black Forrest. 

Do you live here in Pommelsbrunn for a long time?
Not at all. I lived 6 years in Stuttgart, 2 years in Dortmund and since 1986 I live here, near Nurnberg. 

Beautiful cities. Do you have a family / kids? 
Difficult. :-) I have my second family now. I lived 8 years alone with two kids, them I brought in the second family. My wife brought two kids in this family, then we got another kid, adopted one more and got again a kid - so seven kids mixed up (from 7 years to 33 years old).
"LEGO is an art and technique" says Klaus Schnaible, a big fan of LEGO from Germany
It must be wonderful to have such a big family. What do you do for living?
I work in the management of an independent group of electrical wholesalers, responsible for all that has something to do with IT. 

So nothing to do with LEGO I guess...
No, but even though my job is a non-LEGO related I have at least some of my favourite builds there with me in my office.
"LEGO is an art and technique" says Klaus Schnaible, a big fan of LEGO from Germany

"LEGO is an art and technique" says Klaus Schnaible, a big fan of LEGO from Germany
When your passion for LEGO started ?
As a child - we have got a LEGO at home, and the first big thing I built for myself that I can remember was an aeroplane with 4 turning propellers on the basis of the motor of a LEGO train. 

That must have been very nice build that you remember it for such a long time. What's the story behind you getting back into LEGO as an adult?
LEGO stopped as I grew older, but in the time I lived alone with the kids I had boring evenings - and I started again with LEGO, then also together with kids. 
"LEGO is an art and technique" says Klaus Schnaible, a big fan of LEGO from Germany
When did you buy your first set for you? Can you remember what was that?
For myself I bought the first set in the time I lived alone with my kids, so it must have been around 1986. I only remember that it was a LEGO Technic set - maybe you have it now. :-) In this time I was a big fan of LEGO Technic.

Yes, I am very glad that you offered me to buy some of your very old and rare LEGO Technic sets, there was no way to say no. :-) LEGO Technic keeps amaze me. (LEGO that I bought from Klaus, the cute yellow piggy "Elyse" was a gift.)
"LEGO is an art and technique" says Klaus Schnaible, a big fan of LEGO from Germany
Tell me, being an adult, why do you find playing with LEGO so interesting?
You can build real buildings, you can learn how technique works and you can have much fun with your kids - they all love LEGO too. 
"LEGO is an art and technique" says Klaus Schnaible, a big fan of LEGO from Germany
How many sets approximately you have ?
I don't know. I only know that too many. :-)
"LEGO is an art and technique" says Klaus Schnaible, a big fan of LEGO from Germany
I am not surprised that you don't know the number. Your house is full of LEGO, that's a paradise. Does your wife share your passion for LEGO?
Yes, a little bit. She built a house, a VW Rabbit, a robot from a Disney film, a Winter Special set and a few more ... 

Do you have your favourite LEGO theme ?
LEGO Architecture, in particular the sets that are in Bauhaus style.
"LEGO is an art and technique" says Klaus Schnaible, a big fan of LEGO from Germany
Have you ever built something on your own (not an official LEGO set)?
Quite a few ... for instance a piano, a Cobra car, a house, a tiger, a LEGO figurine in different versions, ... 
"LEGO is an art and technique" says Klaus Schnaible, a big fan of LEGO from Germany

"LEGO is an art and technique" says Klaus Schnaible, a big fan of LEGO from Germany
I love the shape of your Cobra car. It looks fantastic. I really appreciate you being so kind to give it to me as a gift. 
"LEGO is an art and technique" says Klaus Schnaible, a big fan of LEGO from Germany
You have a great imagination, Klaus ! If you were a LEGO designer for one day, what set would you create?
Wow - that's a question. Maybe something like this: link 

I am sure, that you would definitely keep attention with this idea. What is your most favourite LEGO set?
That's the one I don't have - the big Star Wars Falcon (10179). At the time it came out, I didn't have the money as I bought the house for my family at that time. Now it is so expensive. 
"LEGO is an art and technique" says Klaus Schnaible, a big fan of LEGO from Germany
Is there a set in your collection that you would never sell?
No official set - I am too old to hang on things. If I want to keep one build till the end, I think it would be one of the self made piggy banks - because I have made them for my kids as they were born. And if it should be an official set - Falling Water from LEGO Architecture - one of my dreams as my own house. 
"LEGO is an art and technique" says Klaus Schnaible, a big fan of LEGO from Germany
Are you active in LEGO community ?
No, but I read forums, look at videos and sometimes go to visit conventions. There are too much other interest. 

What are your other interests? 
Karl May, reading books, learning playing the guitar, driving motorcycle, religious history and critics, the museum in my town, science, ... and one more hobby that I have mostly forgotten, because I have stopped it - comics. 

So many different interests, that's extraordinary. One more question, Klaus, if you had only one word to say what LEGO means to you, what was that ?
Let me say two - art and technique. 

Thank you, Klaus, for your story. I wish all the best to you and your family and hope you will enjoy together with your kids a lot of fun with LEGO. 

I hope you found Klaus story as interesting as I did. :-)

Please do not hesitate to ask any question in comments bellow.