2017 Modular Building - which one will be the next?

September 07, 2016 11 Comments A+ a-


Why not to speculate a bit about the 2017 Modular Building set ? :) I am sure that fans of Modular Buildings are very curious what the next set, 11th in a row, will be !
Last month I prepared for you an overview of 10 existing sets released by LEGO up to date in my post LEGO Modular Building Overview. Today, I was once again thinking about the role of each building in the city and I realized that residents of the LEGO Modular Building City must be feeling very satisfied in their 10 building town so far ... :)
  • There is a place for them to go if they want to have some fun - to the cinema, shopping mall or play a pool or darts in the pool hall. 
  • When they are hungry, they can have a great meal in the Parisian restaurant or have a snack in some of local cafes.
  • Relatives or friends can stay in a hotel if they come for visit.
  • Security is ensured by local fire department, mayor or detective. 
  • There is also a pet shop with lots of goodies for local pets.
  • Residents can get a new haircut chez Al's.
  • There is also a bank where to save money.
  • And many more...
But what else do residents of a real city need to feel comfortable, safe and happy in their town ? 
I'm sure that there is still room for other buildings with additional functions that would make residents of LEGO Modular Building City even more happy ... :)
I came up with following 10 ideas for the next Modular Building set.

1) SCHOOL
Children must learn somewhere to read, write, count, ... Or a kind of an art school (musical instruments, ballet, ...) could be a good addition to the LEGO Modular Building City.
School
2) LOCAL DOCTOR / PHARMACY 
What if someone gets ill ? There is no doctor to look after residents. 
Local Doctor / Pharmacy

3) MUSEUM / GALLERY
City is lacking a place where art lovers could gather, exhibit their own art works, talk about art, ...
Museum / Gallery
4) LIBRARY
Books are very important. I think that there is something on the Mark Twain quote: "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read". :)
 
Library
5) SPORT CENTRUM
Residents must move to stay fit and not fat. It would be nice to see some fitness room, tennis courts or swimming pool in the LEGO Modular Building City. 
Sport Centrum
6) CAR REPAIR / CAR WASH  
We live in a world full of cars so it's inevitable that from time to time car can get broken. Or residents are from time to time also lazy to wash their cars on their own ... :) So the car repair or car wash would be definitely useful in the town. 
Car repair / Car wash
7) JEWELRY 
I think that particularly women residents would appreciate jewelry store in the LEGO Modular Building City to have a place to shop for earrings, necklaces, ...
Jewelry
8) TOYSTORE
If there was not a toystore in the city where would you go hunting new LEGO sets and minifigures ? :) We could find inside the store a lot of funny toys for children, playground, ... or unique minifigures such as clauns, magicians, ... 
Toystore
9) FLOWER SHOP
There could be especially nice flower display behind the front window of a shop with a lot of colours.
Flower shop
10) ABANDONED HOUSE
This is my favourite one ! I would love to see this one as the next 2017 Modular Building set. I think that it would be a great contrast to have one old house with broken glasses, abandoned ... but with a story ... right next to the rest of the existing shiny buildings. Maybe there used to live someone very important for the city but he decided to leave the house for some reason ... or any other mysterious story ! 
Abandoned house
We will hopefully see in October / November this year what the next set will be. And whether any of my 10 guesses will at least somehow resemble to the final one chosen by LEGO ! 

What are your wishes for 2017 LEGO Modular Building set ? 

I will be happy if you comment below. 

11 komentářů

Write komentářů
OhioBricker
AUTHOR
8 September 2016 at 17:38 delete

I can't wait for the next modular. I think, whatever it is, it will be distinctly different from what has come before it (not a toystore, for example, since it's too similar to the Grand Emporium.) I could see it being a school or museum. I'm intrigued by a car wash, as long as it was done right (and had some sort of second floor.)
I'm still holding out hope that it's 2 half buildings, like the Pet Shop and Brownstone. I'd love an urban police precinct and an urgent care or something like that.
But it's probably something nobody's mentioning and will be super cool.

Reply
avatar
OhioBricker
AUTHOR
9 September 2016 at 02:16 delete

LEGO did do a Haunted House a few years ago. Not sure it's exactly what you had in mind, but probably a little too close to do a Modular Building.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Haunted-House-10228

Reply
avatar
Lego Girl
AUTHOR
9 September 2016 at 10:40 delete

Yes exactly, I meant something like the Haunted House but a bit more real, without ghosts. :)
I wouldn't mind if it's not a 2 half building this time. I think that in case of a museum or a school it would be quite complicated to make it. Maybe in case of the school, an old model of school together with a church could work quite well ...
You're completely right that Toystore is similar to Grand Emporium. But I think that the exterior of the Grand Emporium doesn't reveal that there is something like Toystore inside. I really enjoyed the picture of the Toystore with a big toy dummy on the facade so that everyone knows immediately what kind of shop is inside. :) Urban police could be also a nice addition to the fire station.
No doubt that LEGO will come with something exciting and suprising next year ! :)

Reply
avatar
OhioBricker
AUTHOR
9 September 2016 at 17:48 delete

yes, only certain types of buildings would work for a split Modular. It seems like most of the Modular buildings come from small town Main Streets from yesteryear. So, I'm trying to think of the types of businesses/organizations that would have been there back in the 1950s or so. I wouldn't be surprised if the next modular were a school, library, or museum.
I think a drug store would be cool (although I see that being kind of tricky for the LEGO brand.)
I would like to see a dry cleaner at some point. And a newspaper printing press would be neat, too. I mean, the LEGO Times needs to come from somewhere.

Reply
avatar
Lego Girl
AUTHOR
12 September 2016 at 09:57 delete

Many very good suggestions ! :) Newspaper printing press could come with many special details and a drugstore would be a nice addition too.
It's true that LEGO is more backward than forward looking when designing these sets. I mean especially the architecture of buildings. But that's what I like. :)

Reply
avatar
Unknown
AUTHOR
24 September 2016 at 16:07 delete This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar
Unknown
AUTHOR
24 September 2016 at 16:14 delete

I'll hope a Jewelry store and a Flowershop both on a base plate of 16x32 (Like the Petshop) Or a Police station base plate 32x32. But the next month then we will know what it will be. Like in the last years thats the month when the first pictures appear of the next Modular building

Reply
avatar
Lego Girl
AUTHOR
25 September 2016 at 22:36 delete

Even though LEGO released a lot of Police stuff so far I would not mind getting the Police Station, too. I think that it's just a matter of time when LEGO release it as a Modular Building, the ultimate one for adults. :)
Personally, I wouldn't mind getting two Modulars per year. It's such a long wait ! :)

Reply
avatar
OhioBricker
AUTHOR
17 October 2016 at 22:16 delete

Have you seen the new Modular yet? I wasn't in love with the colors upon first glance, but it's slowly growing on me. Despite it costing more than $100 more than the previous Modulars, I think it's fantastic. Great details inside and out. I will certainly be in line when the LEGO Store opens on Jan. 1 or whenever it officially becomes available.

Reply
avatar
Lego Girl
AUTHOR
18 October 2016 at 23:20 delete

Beautiful ! Assembly square is a very nice idea ! It looks like a lot of great detail in there. Looking forward to the upper floor features with micro LEGO train and modulars, and the dentist chair. I do like the colour scheme of the middle building and the equipment of shops, especially the music store. Considering the number of pieces, I think that it is a pretty good price. Day one purchase ! :-)

Reply
avatar
RobustPost
AUTHOR
6 December 2021 at 12:38 delete

it was a wonderful chance to visit this kind of site and I am happy to know. thank you so much for giving us a chance to have this opportunity.. prefab extensions

Reply
avatar